Harahan Elementary School is over 80 years old. The building’s two-story rotunda-aimed curving staircase distinguishes it as a jewel of 20th century architecture. The building was added to the US Department of the Interior’s National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
In January of 1926, the faculty and student body moved into the present Harahan School. At that time, there were only four grades in the elementary school. As the years progressed, additional grades were added. The first graduation ceremony was held in June, 1929.
Currently students, Pre-School through Fifth Grade occupy the four buildings. The teachers are supported by an active Parent Co-op organization.
Harahan Elementary School is located in the center of Harahan, Louisiana, a suburb of New Orleans, about seven miles west of the famed Canal Street on the east bank of the Mississippi River in Jefferson Parish.